Page 2 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Comics Cultures, Part 4

1. danialworks Guest

Let's really go for reality.

Can the creator do the work as contracted/specified?

Can the creator meet the deadline?

2. LeeNordling Guest

Let's start lining stuff up where they below, Danial, even if you didn't create the other questions.

If we don't, we have a million questions, not consensus, and I'm going for consensus.

Nice questions here, though, because they speak to doing the work.

But let's put them in first person: Can I meet the deadline?

And it will be interesting to see how this changes if a creator isn't getting paid enough to work on the book full time.

So, let's line 'em all up and examine them.

Thanks.

--Lee

3. danialworks Guest

Is this publisher well-known for the kind of material I intend to produce? Can they make me part of a larger brand with other remarkable creators?

4. danialworks Guest

And I am SO missing a quote there...

5. Rain Guest

Refining the list, with danial's thoughts included...

Is my product commercial?
    Why do I need the money?
    Can I do the work as contracted/specified?
    Can I meet the deadline?
    Will this project bring me additional work/money in the future?
    Is the publsiher well-known for the kind of material I intend to produce?
    Will this publisher handling this project help establish me as a brand?
    Can this publisher help me pull of brilliant execution of the finished product?
    Can this publisher make me part of a larger brand with other remarkable creators?
    Do I care how my product will be adapted and potentially altered in other mediums?

Rain

6. LeeNordling Guest

Anybody think "Do I need to own it?" should be in there?

Look at the last three weeks and apply it to this block.

Anybody remember Ronald's sparkling list that I added some more sparkle to?

--Lee

7. danialworks Guest

Hey Rain... what do you think about "Why do I need the money" being changed to something like "How important is the money project by project?"

8. Rain Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LeeNordling View Post

Anybody remember Ronald's sparkling list that I added some more sparkle to?

--Lee
    Ah, yes. That alters the list:

1 Is my product commercial?

2 Why do I need the money? Which leads to...

3 ...How much do I get paid, and do I need an advance to begin work? If so, how large of one?

4 Do I need a steady cash flow through the life of this project? If so, when and how do I need those payments?

5 Is a larger payout at the end of the project important?

6 Can I do the work as contracted/specified/meet deadlines?

7 Will this project bring me additional work/money in the future?

8 Will this publisher handling this project help establish me as a brand?

9 Is this publisher well-known for the kind of material I intend to produce, and can help me pull off brilliant execution of the finished product?

10 Is ancillary product revenue and other rights to the work important to me? If so, how much in dollar terms?

11 Do I care how my product will be adapted and potentially altered in other mediums?

Rain

9. danialworks Guest

Lee, doesn't "is there a question of ownership?" come before "Do I need to own it?" Also, "What's my fair piece of the ownership pie?"

10. LeeNordling Guest

Quote Originally Posted by danialworks View Post
    Lee, doesn't "is there a question of ownership?" come before "Do I need to own it?" Also, "What's my fair piece of the ownership pie?"
    How about: "Is the ownership situation acceptable?" It allows for all contingencies and gets quickly to a "yes" or "no."

"What's my fair piece of the ownership pie?" probably doesn't work as well.

But I like the discussion, because it's getting us to parse for simplicity and range.

Thanks.

--Lee

Page 2 of 8
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast