Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Your Own Private Wormhole, Part 1: All the time in the world

1. LeeNordling Guest

Hey, Roberts.

The second one first. You description explains when the pyramids were in the panels, but nobody looking at the comic of those images are going to get that specific passage of time.

Go back and look at how I handled the passage of a second or a hundred years. I used clocks, numbers in captions, thought balloons, and words in captions so that ANY reader of the finished comic would be able to look at the two panels and be able to tell how much time passed from one to the other.

That's what I want you to do.

Rather than criticizing the assignment as not being possible, maybe you should use that energy to creatively tackle it.

For instance, and I am making this up as I go, because this is EASY.

Panel 1: An asteroid in space. In the far distance behind it, there's a gaseous mass.

ASTEROID THOT: Well, here I am, a newly created asteroid. So, what's going on in the universe?

Panel 2: The asteroid still floats in space. Behind it, there's now a spectacular star cluster.

ASTEROID THOT: It's been an eon, and nothing ever happens around here.

Expository dialogue and thought balloons are two of the simplest techniques for showing passage of time, and there are many others, many I've offered as examples.

Consider them still on the table, so you can use them to hone your level of craft.

Now, here's another way to do it, even though it involves a caption, which loses a point for creativity, but we're at least trying to nail down something that works.

Panel 1: An asteroid in space.

CAPTION: And so we begin another eon.

Panel 2: The same asteroid in space.

CAPTION: And so we end another eon.

Now, this denotes that nothing has changed in...what period of time? That's right an eon. And I didn't even have to look it up.

Now to your grave and your fresh soil, Roberts.

Do you really think a reader is going to look at the two images, see fresh soil, and think, "Oh, this must be the year each died?"

No, of course they won't.

But you were on the right track, and didn't use all the tools at your disposal for that idea.

If there was a funeral service being held at each graveside in each panel then we'd know EXACTLY when the two graves were dug, and then we COULD figure out the passage of time as you intended.

Folks, THIS is learning to use all the tools at your disposal to convey to the reader, in the sequential art medium, exactly what you intend.

Now, why is this important?

Because if you ever need to convey passage of time in one of your stories, it would be good for the reader to perceive what you intend.

Back to work.

--Lee
    Last edited by LeeNordling; Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 05:55 PM.

2. LeeNordling Guest

So, let's start over.

Three examples, one with minutes (you make it clear to the reader how many), one with years (you make it clear to the reader how many), and one with millennia or eons (you make it clear to the reader how many).

Use your sequential art toolbox in different ways for each of the three.

And there's a bonus to anybody who can avoid repeating specific techniques used by others, and I'll arbitrate whether a caption with numbers and a caption with words spelled out are different enough, but I'll start by saying they aren't.

So, a caption noting the passage of time is out, thanks to Harry who claimed that tool.

But there are other ways a caption can be used, so let's see what you come up with.

And if you just can't come with an object other than Roberts's gravestone, then use the gravestone.

The point is for you to be really comfortable with using this sequential art tool, and my assessment right now is that nobody here is comfortable with this.

So, let's see what you've got.

--Lee

3. Rain Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LeeNordling View Post
    Three examples, one with minutes (you make it clear to the reader how many), one with years (you make it clear to the reader how many), and one with millennia or eons (you make it clear to the reader how many).
    MINUTES

Panel 1: Soccer fans sit in a stadium directly below a scoreboard. The scoreboard reads, HOME: 0 CLOCK: 45:00 VISITOR: 0. Two fans are standing and holding a banner that reads, "Lets go home team." Their faces are painted and they're pumping their fists in a flurry of fandom.

Panel 2: Same shot as above, but the fans previously excited now appear all doom and gloom. They're sitting, elbows on knees and hands supporting their chins. The scoreboard above reads HOME: 0 CLOCK 40:00 VISITOR: 2

YEARS

Panel 1: George W. Bush stands front and center in the House Chamber of the Capital Building.

BUSH: In the last 7 years, we have witnessed stirring moments in the history of
    liberty.

Panel 2: Exact same shot, but instead of Bush, Obama is delivering the speech.

OBAMA: Yesterday, I held a fiscal summit where I pledged to cut
    the deficit in half by the end of my first term in office.

EONS

Panel 1: Shot of planet Earth from space. Only ONE huge landmass in the center of the globe, flanked by blue waters on all sides.

Panel 2: Same shot of planet Earth, but now their are several continents, in the formation and location familiar to us today.

4. Rain Guest

Sorry, realized my eons above weren't specific.

EONS

Panel 1: A middle Eastern man in robes leads his obviously pregnant wife towards a barn. Another man is opening a door for the pair to enter.

MAN HOLDING DOOR: I'm sorry Joseph, but the only space I have is here in the stable.

Panel 2: Times Square is packed with tens of thousands of people; drinks in hands, lovers locking lips. Confetti is streaming downwards. High above a crystal ball is brilliantly lighted, resting on top of a building. Below the ball a sign announces: 2000.

5. LeeNordling Guest

Rain's grade:

1. 5 minutes, figured from a scoreboard. Good, and nice variation on a clock.

2. An indeterminate number of years, though the idea is interesting. Still, not nailing down the specific period of time is a FAIL. Additional note, while I'm sure that you could nail down when each of these moments took place, Rain, few readers, even somebody as politically active as myself included, would be able to figure this out, thus it doesn't meet our goals.

3. (FIRST VERSION) An indeterminate number of eons, though the idea is interesting. Still, not nailing down the specific period of time is a FAIL.

A question to the group: is it really so hard to nail down a specific time?

It shouldn't be, and I know it's no longer an issue with assignment clarity.

Everybody who's not succeeded should keep at it till they do. Anything less than 100% on this denotes a disconnect between intention and results.

--Lee

PS. 3. (SECOND VERSION) Actually that's two millennia, not eons, but it's a nice creative use of getting us to consider 2,000 years. PASS (with a point off for thinking a millennium was an eon). Additional note, the reason this one works and the #2 doesn't is because we all understand that our Gregorian calendar dates from the birth of Jesus Christ (and we'll skip the debate thatr Jan. 1, 2001 was technically the end of the second and beginning of the third millennium on our calendar).
    Last edited by LeeNordling; Wednesday, March 17, 2010 at 10:04 PM.

6. Rain Guest

Quote Originally Posted by LeeNordling View Post
    2. An indeterminate number of years, though the idea is interesting. Still, not nailing down the specific period of time is a FAIL.
    Attempt two:

YEARS:

Panel 1: A "classic" paperboy, complete with newspaper hat, is peddling his bike between 60s era cars that are parked along a suburban street. His hand is raised as he prepares to fling a paper onto a home's yard. We can see the newspaper in his hand, and the dateline at the top that reads, "May 12, 1967."

Panel 2. Same basic angle and composition as panel one. Instead of a bicycle, the delivery boy rides a "hover board," as seen in Back to the Future. The cars of Panel 1 are also hovering above the ground, absent of wheels, and plugged into electrical jacks along the curbing. A delivery boy again holds a "newspaper" over his head as he prepares to fling it. But now, it is a tablet with LED screen, and reads, "May 12, 2067"

SIDE NOTE: On your rewrite of the question, you said, "and one with millennia or eons (you make it clear to the reader how many)."

Do I still lose a point?

Rain

7. Rain Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Rain View Post
    SIDE NOTE: On your rewrite of the question, you said, "and one with millennia or eons (you make it clear to the reader how many)."

Do I still lose a point?

Rain
    Never mind, I inadvertently labeled it eons rather than millennia, so I'll take my deduction and sulk back to my seat....

Rain

8. LeeNordling Guest

Rain's second attempt.

2. 100 years, on the dot. Good use of the newspaper, Rain. PASS.

Re. the millennium and eon question, yep, not knowing the difference between an eon or a millennium loses a point, especially for a guy I know who worked with me on a project involving eons...but it's a friendly loss of a point, kind of like the whack on the back of the head Gibbs gives the subordinates on NCIS. (I think I was a school-teaching nun in a previous life, and yep, I realize I just mixed religions...but it's a mixed-up topic.)

Nice work.

It looks like you're the first one to do three successfully, not counting your need for a dictionary.

Congrats.

Anybody else believe he/she can do three successful examples?

--Lee

9. Rain Guest

Going back to seconds, since I was late to class.

Panel 1: A baby on hands and knees beside an electrical outlet. The baby has a metal fork in hand, extending it towards the plug. A mother sweeping the floor has just noticed her child's actions.

MOTHER: No...

Panel 2: Same as panel one, but the broom has slipped from the mother's grasp. It's still teetering perpendicular to the floor, on it's own, just at the edge of her fingertips.

2 MOTHER: ...stop!!!

10. LeeNordling Guest

Rain's grade on...

SECONDS: like with the bullet previously discussed, I'd be surprised if this period of time was even one second. Now, once again, we have not delineated exactly how many seconds have passed, making this the opposite of a pass: FAIL.

If we don't know how many of an particular measurement, then it will always be a FAIL.

Next up?

--Lee

Page 2 of 6
FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast