Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SEB-standard 31: ANCHOR'S AWAY

1. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

SEB-standard 31: ANCHOR'S AWAY

Awright, I havenít written one of these columns in quite some time. Iíve been too busy with too many other things. In fact, Iím STILL too busy. I have a gazillion other tasks that need my attention right this very minute.

So, what, you may very well be asking, has dragged me back to pages of SEB-standard?

THE ANCHOR #8 was the last issue. Poor sales have forced BOOM! STUDIOS to cancel Phil Hester and Brian Churrillaís brilliant series.

This is a real shame.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Anchor_08_CVRA.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	9825

Not that BOOM! pulled the plug -- that just makes good business senseóbut the fact that sales were low enough for that to happen.

***UPDATE***
    Chip Mosher, BOOM! STUDIOS Marketing Director, and all around great guy, has asked that I point out that it's not too late to hoist THE ANCHOR! If TRADES continue to sell briskly enough, BOOM! could be willing to reconsider and bring back Clem and the gang.
    THE ANCHOR was one of the best books to hit the market in a long time. It quickly found itself at the top of my ďread-in-this-orderĒ pile. Heck, as a reviewer for PROJECT FANBOY, I have access to advance reader copies online. I could very simply have just read this book on my computer, posted my little opinion, and been done with it. But this book was too good, and, I bought each and every issue as it came out. Pre-ordered them from my LCS, FAMOUS FACES & FUNNIES, I did. I, and several other readers, would sing its praise at the ďROUND TABLE,Ē a monthly event held at Famous Faces, where customers and employees (itís open to anyone) gather to eat pizza and discuss what weíre reading. Heck, I even bought the trade. Thatís right, I picked up the trade, collecting the issues I bought, of the comic I could have read for free.

Why?

Well, because it was THAT good. And, Iím glad I did. Even though the sales were low enough to cancel the book, I can sleep well, knowing I did my part.

Where were you?

This book was so great. Hester and Churilla avoided the usual grim, gritty, hyper-realistic approach of 98% of comics today, and went with something fun, positive, and uplifting. Better yet, they did that without seeming preachy or forced, like too many of the attempts to the same. Clem, aka The Anchor, is a truly righteous (in the original context) and noble hero. His motivations are pure and good. Even when he backslides, the closest he comes to selfish is his decision to travel into Hell, to redeem the tainted soul of his only living descendant.

Now, I know, many peopleís first instinct is bristle at the idea of noble and godly comic-book premise. And, yes, Clemís faith in God is a major point within the book. But, again, this isnít preachy or over-bearing.

Anyone who knows me can tell you, that like most good little Long Island Italian boys, I was raised Catholic. And, like many before me, that strong Catholic upbringing has left meÖwell, Iím not passionate enough to be Agnostic, and Iím not committed enough to be Atheist. Letís stick with ďAĒ words, and call me religiously Apathetic. My point is, I was still able to be totally immersed in this book and found myself completely enamored of this hero and his dogma, despite any religious biases of my own.

This was an intelligent and well written book, with interesting and original ideas. The art was nothing short of gorgeous, wonderfully organic, and full of energy.

If you havenít read this book, read it. Iím sure the issues are on shelves at various shops, and I KNOW you can get the first trade. The second should hit stores pretty soon, as well. Read it and see for yourselves. And if you like it, and Iím fairly certain you will, let BOOM! know.

Click image for larger version

Name:	AnchorV1_TPB_CVR.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	9824
    THE ANCHOR VOLUME 1
    ISBN13: 978-1-60886-004-3
    Diamond Code: DEC090728

THE ANCHOR VOLUME 2
    ISBN13: 9781608860043
    Diamond Code: APR100814

I refuse to believe thereís no room for the ANCHOR on comic shop shelves, but that we need whole sections to display the 20-something monthly DeadPool appearances.

For more, check out my interview with Phil & Brian from back in October.
    http://forums.projectfanboy.com/showthread.php?t=4728
    Last edited by SebastianPiccione; Monday, May 24, 2010 at 01:10 AM.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

2. tiggerpete Guest

wow, I missed these, nice to see the SEB-Standard back, I've missed it. that said, it always sucks when a good comic suffers at the expense of a tired concept (though I do enjoy a well-written Deadpool story) I guess it is true in most formats, crap sells. (Transformers Revenge of the Fallen, autotuning, reality tv, etc.) all crap, yet all popular for some ungodly reason, yet the innovative original ideas struggle for an audience, and ultimately drown in a sea of crap.

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Pete. It's nice to be missed.

Yeah, it's like I tell my students, popular does NOT equal quality. They often argue that something MUST be good if it sells a lot, or is a financial success.

I simply point out that Brittany Spears has platinum albums, but that doesn't make her the best singer.

THE ANCHOR was such a great comic, and truly deserves to continue. There's so much untapped potential in there.

CAT. 5

4. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Just bumping this because it's been updated.

In fact, here's the update again, just so you have no excuse for missing it.

***UPDATE***
    Chip Mosher, BOOM! STUDIOS Marketing Director, and all around great guy, has asked that I point out that it's not too late to hoist THE ANCHOR! If TRADES continue to sell briskly enough, BOOM! could be willing to reconsider and bring back Clem and the gang.

CAT. 5

5. BrandonBarrows Guest

Generally, things that are overwhelmingly popular are so because they appeal to the lowest common denominator. I.E., they satisfy few but are just barely adequate for many. Anything that stands out must be truly exceptional to survive.

I got to read the Anchor for free, so I see the appeal, but I can also see how it wouldn't appeal to the general market.

6. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

See, the Teacher in me won't accept that.

The "General Market" wants crap. I want to see that elevated. Should we really ask companies to print only generic crap for the masses, or should we encourage people to find the value in something different, and in this case, more advanced than that.

Otherwise we can go to libraries and book stores and throw out all the Shakespeare, Dostoevsky, Bronte, and Hemingway; and fill the shelves with John Grisham and the Twilight books.

CAT. 5

7. BrandonBarrows Guest

I see what you're saying, but the "General Market" is not going to accept it. They don't want to think.

I really don't mean to sound elitist or anything, but the general populace is not that bright and they don't like to think any harder than they have to.

8. tiggerpete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonBarrows View Post
    I see what you're saying, but the "General Market" is not going to accept it. They don't want to think.

I really don't mean to sound elitist or anything, but the general populace is not that bright and they don't like to think any harder than they have to.
    I hate to agree with you, but its true, the general public is a majority of idiots (for example, my roomate can't see why people hate Transformers 2, and doesn't like some of the better written comics out there because they are too "wordy", he also refuses to read anything written before the 90's based solely on the art (which I think is pretty stupid to rule out works drawn by Carmine Infantino, Jack Kirby, George Perez, and so many other great names of the golden, silver and bronze age, heck he probably likes Rob Liefeld)) not saying that that makes him an idiot, but it is an example of the "general public" that avoid the new and intriguing in favor of the tired and cliched, or in terms of my roomate, ignores the foundation in favor of the misshapen statue sitting on it

9. BrandonBarrows Guest

Hate to agree with me? And here I thought we were buds.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

See, you guys aren't disagreeing with me. I KNOW that the masses want life dumbed down.

This is EXACTLY why I feel it's important to make sure that bar is raised. If we keep dumbing it down for the lowest common denominator, we move BACKWARDS, intellectually, over time.

Besides, where THE ANCHOR is concerned we've got the high brow concepts cleverly wrapped in a story about an immortal (?) viking who beats giant monsters to death with his bare hands. So, there's the hook for the "general public" and if, along the way, the start to grasp the bigger things underneath...even better then!

CAT. 5

Page 1 of 3
1 2 3 LastLast