Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SEB-standard 31: ANCHOR'S AWAY

1. tiggerpete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonBarrows View Post
    Hate to agree with me? And here I thought we were buds.
    well, I meant that your point suggests that the world is a depressing stupid place, and headed towards the future portrayed in Idiocracy, but are we still cool?

2. tiggerpete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SebastianPiccione View Post
    See, you guys aren't disagreeing with me. I KNOW that the masses want life dumbed down.

This is EXACTLY why I feel it's important to make sure that bar is raised. If we keep dumbing it down for the lowest common denominator, we move BACKWARDS, intellectually, over time.

Besides, where THE ANCHOR is concerned we've got the high brow concepts cleverly wrapped in a story about an immortal (?) viking who beats giant monsters to death with his bare hands. So, there's the hook for the "general public" and if, along the way, the start to grasp the bigger things underneath...even better then!
    I totally agree with you, I think the bar should be constantly raised, but if the bar gets too high, some people give up entirely, In Shakespeare's day, his plays were not as popular as Christopher Marlowe, but due to their quality (and favor with the queen) we all read Shakespeare now as part of basic English Lit. I'm just saying that you need perseverance to be truly exceptional, and if you are truly committed to raising the bar, you may not find the recognition due to you until you are gone, not unlike the Anchor (I hadn't heard of it until this column, but it sounds pretty awesome, I may need to hunt for back issues) also, if the bar is too high, some people ignore the bar entirely and just stick to making crap (like Micheal Bay)

3. BrandonBarrows Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tiggerpete View Post
    well, I meant that your point suggests that the world is a depressing stupid place, and headed towards the future portrayed in Idiocracy, but are we still cool?
    Oh, okay then. I just call 'em as I see 'em. And of course we're cool, I was just kidding around.

4. tiggerpete Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonBarrows View Post
    Oh, okay then. I just call 'em as I see 'em. And of course we're cool, I was just kidding around.
    I know, the smilie face with the tongue out was a pretty big give away

5. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Pete, if you're gonna read 'em get the trades.

1- this will help possibly get THE ANCHOR back on track.

2- The first trade reprints 1-4 for $9.99. The individual issues would cost about $16 bucks, cover price.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

6. tiggerpete Guest

ok, 10 bucks isn't bad, not sure my comic shop would have it though, but I'll check, is it on Amazon.com, or elsewhere on the net?

7. Cary Guest

Never heard of this book actually, but now that I have I'll check it out! It's kinda sad when the sheep out there drive our entertainment to the point it's at right now. And here I thought the Bad Girl ear was hitting the bottom of the barrel. ugh. I was SO wrong!

8. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Cary- sad, but true!

Pete, You can order it straight from BOOM! I believe. And it's in stock at Diamond, so your LCS can re-order it in for you.

CAT. 5

9. BrandonBarrows Guest

Pete, it hasn't been released. Release date is June 1st, that's why you can't find it in your LCS.

10. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Brandon, he was talking about the first trade, which came out several weeks ago. I'm staring at mine right now.

Pete, ignore Brandon!

CAT. 5

Page 2 of 3
FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast