Thread: Earth's Mightiest Comic Book?

1. Steven Sykora 4000 Guest

Earth's Mightiest Comic Book?

Earth's Mightiest Comic Book?

Today we're going to discuss what's become of the Avengers. At the recommendation of my LCS owner and all the things I'd heard were going on in the gap were I stopped reading comics for a while, I never got back into the Avengers title. Cap died, my favorite Avenger reservist died (Quasar), and last time I had read Thor he was installing himself as the self proclaimed deliverer of Earth. The Avengers as a whole weren't going in a direction I really cared for.

The last time I stopped by the LCS I threw caution to the wind, remembered my Avengers roots and grabbed a copy with my weekly box. Took me a few days to get to it but contrary to what I'd heard it was actually a pretty good read. Maybe it's the skrully twist or the dark Batman-esque persona Tony Stark has these days but in truth I think I'll be adding them to my weekly pull for a while and see where it goes. Imagine that... me an Avengers fan again - and right after my "What's wrong with Marvel" write up too. Maybe I can change my column name to "Earth's Mightiest Column"..... Nah!

2. TomLupo Guest

THERE WAS A LOUD SCREAM BY FANBOYS WORLDWIDE WHEN BENDIS TOOK OVER THE AVENGERS AND DISASSEMBLED THEM KILLING OFF HAWKEYE, THE VISION, AND ANT-MAN. WANDA FLIPPED OUT, CREATED HOUSE OF M THANKS TO PIETRO. THERE WERE PEEPS CRYIN' IN THE STREETS!

I LOVED IT!!

THE NEW AVENGERS COMIC HAS BEEN ONE OF MARVELS BEST COMICS THE PAST 3+ YEARS.(FUNNY....WHEN THEY WANTED TO RENAME THE WCA TO NEW AVENGERS FANS REJECTED IT....YEARS LATER IT BECAME A REAL TITLE)
    WHAT MAKES IT SO GREAT IS BENDIS' WRITING....HE KNOWS HOW TO WRITE A STORY THAT MAKES YOU LAUGH AND KEEP YOU INTRIGUED WITH PLOTS THAT KEEP INTERTWININ'.

I LIKE THE MEMBERS HE CHOSE BECAUSE HALF OF THESE FUCKS WERE LONERS AND THEY JELL AS A TEAM SO WELL. I OWN ALL THE ORIGINAL AVENGERS AND WCA COMICS IN EITHER REPRINT OR ORIGINAL COMIC AND LOVE THEM...I CAN ALWAYS RE-READ THEM(I AM CURRENTLY READIN' ALL 102+ WCA COMICS....LOTS OF THEM FOR THE FIRST TIME) SO A NEW TAKE LIKE THIS IS REFRESHIN' TO ME.

THE 2 AVENGER TITLES ARE THE BEST COMICS OUT OF THE REGULAR MARVEL UNIVERSE...BAR NONE!

3. Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Post Thanks / Like

Mighty Avengers & New Avengers are good books. I really enjoy them. I do admit, however, that there is something about New Avengers that just prevents them from having that actual Avengers feel. More of a Defenders, we are a non-team-team feel, ya know?

I still say Marvel's best (mainstream) title is Avengers: Initiative. That book consistently finds its way to the top of my pull list.
    "Living Robert Venditti's Plan B!"

CAT. 5

4. DavidPaul Guest

Okay, guys. Gotta get my two cents in here about this, and Marvel in general. For one, the death of Captain America as the finale to Civil War made sense, so I won't bemoan all that. It is sad, for sure. But Marvel has rehashed the old cliche of bringing back the dead time and time again and I just do not want to see that ever again. If you don't want to have to go through all the bullshit it takes to bring a character back from the dead I have an idea, and it's a crafty one: DON'T KILL THEM OFF! So, for me, Captain America had better stay dead. And don't pull one of those "new guy is taking over the roll" bits. They already addressed that fairly early after Cap's death so I hope they put that to rest.

Admittedly I'm not a real Avengers fan. I do like what's been going on with Stark and it will be interesting to see where Marvel will take the character in the wake of the Civil War. I'm also glad Spider-Man didn't stick around. Team-ups are one thing. But he's a rogue and should always remain a rogue.

Now two other big gripes I have about Marvel: One - what is the deal with the lack of inkers in some of the titles??? Let's take, for example, the ONLY Marvel title I subscribe to. Ghost Rider. The cover art of Marko Djurdjevic is pretty cool. Nothing wrong there. The pencils of Tan Eng Huat are competent, if over-emphasized on the anatomy. Color work of Jose Villarrubia is good. I don't dig the pink flames but we've seen worse. And the inking of... er? WHAT THE FUCK! No inks??? Okay. Now most of you know my favorite magazine is Heavy Metal and HM is known for its love of indie artists, many of which have certain styles which exclude inks. So why am I so upset about Marvel cutting corners? Two reasons. It puts inkers out of work and it just looks cheap. I could go on and on about this one but you guys have a crack at it now.

My next Marvel complaint goes back to Ghost Rider. The writing is good. I'm not complaining about Jason Aaron's work at all. But he's doing the best he can with the material he has. So this screams of an injustice that is happening all over Marvel. There used to be an unwritten creed at Marvel that you never re-write a character's history. New writers had to come on board and honor the history of the work their predecessors had established. But too many times we have seen writers come on board and with the guidance/instructions/imperial laws of their editor overlords completely screw everything up. Remember the Spider-Man Clones? ... ugh...! So it's happening again. Pretty soon Marvel will need to reboot the reboot and get everything back on track. At Ghost Rider the new editor, whose name is Daniel Ketchum, has the bright inspired idea to bring back Danny Ketch. Wait a sec... Daniel Ketchum... Danny Ketch... wasn't he that other Ghost Rider? Let me go even a little further back in recent GR history. Keep that unspoken creed in mind. As it turns out the Spirit of Vengeance isn't really a resident of hell in origin... wait for it... it's a weapon of Heaven! Now, now. I know loyalists can argue that this new twist doesn't violate Ghost Rider's history and maybe that's true to a certain degree. But aren't they twisting it a little too much? I mean, it's pretty simple: Satan, let's make a deal. I'm always up for a deal. BOOM! You're my bitch now, Johnny Blaze! Hey, I can take this power and use it against the Devil. Satan screams, no! And that's pretty much it. But for some reason editors have felt they had to compound a good simple formula that works into something else. Well that something else just isn't working.

Marvel has been increasingly complicating their titles. A red Hulk. A FUCKING RED HULK??? and cutting corners. Marvel Entertainment is producing some good movies and I'm glad about that. But Marvel Comics...? GET WITH IT, GUYS!

5. Gonzogoose Guest

I am very behind on all my comics reading, but I have to say I'm intrigued by the upcoming Dark Avengers and Dark Reign and all that.

6. TomLupo Guest

WOW...SIX MONTHS LATER AND I'M LOOKIN' DOWN AT THE AVENGERS BOOKS. I GUESS THE KNOCKOUT THAT WAS A REALLY JUST A TAP CALLED "SECRET INVASION" HAS SOURED ME ON THE AVENGERS BOOKS..........

7. DavidPaul Guest

Yeah, Secret Invasion is doing nothing for me. However I have liked She-Hulk, mostly because of the title's writer Peter David.

8. TomLupo Guest

I AGREE........AND IT FUCKIN' BLOWS THAT THEY ARE CANCELLIN' IT!

9. DavidPaul Guest

Does not surprise me. Over it's history the title has enjoyed mild success to only be canceled. In fact I think the last time it was canceled Peter David was the writer. Yikes.

10. TomLupo Guest

AND SHE CAME OVER MY HOUSE AND RIPPED UP MY X-MEN COMICS!!